Your puppy’s nutritional needs will change as they grow into adulthood, but how do you know when your puppy is ready for adult dog food?
Plan to reexamine your puppy’s nutritional needs between 12 and 24 months of age (depending on breed size). Learn when to switch your puppy from their current food to an adult formula — and how to easily make the transition.
When to Transition from Puppy Food to Adult Dog Food
Your puppy’s transition to adult food should begin when they approach adult height. Their breed type will also help determine when to switch, as will their size. For instance, small-breed dogs tend to mature physically much sooner than large-breed dogs.
Follow these guidelines to help you decide when to switch formulas:
- Small-breed dogs that weigh 20 pounds or less when fully grown are usually ready to eat adult food at 9 to 12 months of age.
- Medium-breed dogs that weigh between 20 and 50 pounds as adults normally mature at 12 to 14 months of age.
- Large- and giant-breed dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds when fully grown might not be ready to switch to an adult food until they’re 12 to 24 months old.
How to Transition from Puppy Food to Adult Dog Food
To avoid upsetting your dog’s intestinal tract or causing diarrhea, gradually make the change from a puppy formula to an adult diet over a period of four days by mixing the two foods in your dog’s bowl. Follow these guidelines:
- Day one: Fill your dog’s bowl with 75% puppy food and 25% adult food.
- Day two: Mix the adult and puppy food in a 50-50 ratio.
- Day three: Feed your dog a mixture of 75% adult food and 25% puppy food.
- Day four: Switch to 100% adult formula.
Why Feed Your Dog a Premium Food?
You know that quality counts, so you feed your puppy a premium food that provides balanced nutrition. What food should you choose when they grow into an adult?
Feeding them a high-quality adult food like IAMS™ Adult Minichunks will help them maintain the same superb nutrition they received as a puppy. In contrast, switching to a lower-quality brand at this stage of your dog’s life may upset their digestive system and won’t provide them with the same level of nutritional excellence they were raised on. Check out our Dog Food Selector to find the right food for your all-grown-up pup!
Premium adult dog foods like the ones we make at IAMS™ are specifically designed to provide your dog with:
- High-quality ingredients that support whole-body health
- Balanced levels of protein, fat, fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals
- Omega-6 fatty acids that help nourish and support your dog’s skin and coat
What does it all add up to? A happy, healthy dog.